Monday, April 7, 2008

extraordinary

I don't really like the idea of posting an ongoing journal as that would be too boring to even imagine - today I bought some green bananas... zzzzzz

In the past I know people who have used blogs as a way to find out information about others, a kind of gossip database. That doesn't appeal to me either.

I like the idea of trying to use this space as a canvas for spiritual ideas, transcendent moments or thoughts, a place to note the kind acts of others that move me to kindness, a place to make note of the extraordinary where I've come to expect the ordinary.

This morning on my way to the subway, in front of the First Baptist Church on Broadway and 79 St, I watched a young woman place a McDonald's bag next to a homeless guy who was sitting on the steps of the church with his head in his lap. He may have been asleep. She didn't say anything. She didn't even slow down. She placed the bag next to him. She didn't look back. She kept walking. I don't know if anyone else saw.

I hope that young woman had a terrific day.

No comments: